When the Christmas dinner is done, there is the age old question of, ‘what shall we do with the leftover turkey?’ Of course, there are plenty of tried and trusted serving suggestions, including turkey curry, cold turkey & chutney sarnies, hot turkey and stuffing sarnies, turkey stir fry…do I need to go on? Why not try something a little different this year a winter warmer from Dial2Donate?
Spicy turkey Soup
Mmm, the perfect recipe to really spice up that leftover turkey – adding some heat to the menu even on the chilliest days.
You will need (for 8 servings):
• 200g (7 oz) shredded cooked turkey (of course)
• 1L (1 3/4 pints) vegetable or chicken stock
• 2 (400g) tins whole plum tomatoes
• 2 green chillies, chopped
• 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 1 avocado – peeled, stone removed and diced
• handful chopped fresh coriander
• 100g (4 oz) grated Cheddar cheese
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes
Step 1. Place a large size pan over a medium heat, add the turkey, stock, tinned & fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, green chillies and lime juice.
Step 2. Season with cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper.
Step 3. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 4. Gently stir in the avocado and coriander, simmer for 15 minutes. Once soup has started to thicken, serve topped with grated cheese.
Step 5. Enjoy.